Friday 11 May 2012

BIMShowLive 2012 - My Run Down

Last couple of days has been total #BIMbarding at BIM Show Live 2012, all in a good way and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Following is my quick run down of the event.

DAY - 1

The event was kicked off by Simon Rawlinson with some interesting facts about the current state of play of BIM in the UK AEC industry and questions needed to be addressed. Also, part of the keynote speeches we saw a small (BIM) house to a large (BIM) city.

The key message was there is no question whether the industry should adopt BIM, but HOW? This year's theme was focused on this very question of how to successfully implement BIM?

We had fantastic lineup of speakers ranging from designers, contractors, clients, developers, software vendors etc.

After lunch, my class, 100 Bishopsgate - Multi discipline BIM Collaboration, was amongst the first series of classes.  I was honoured to have almost room full of people in my class. Following picture was taken 10 mins before the class began during my setup and by the time I started the class the room was almost full. unfortunately, I couldn't take picture once I started my class.


I must admit that I really enjoyed delivering this class, especially having some BIM lions (David Light of HOK, Shaun Farrell of Zaha Hadid, and James of BIM Tech to name the few) in the audience gave me some moral support and confidence boost. I was also fortunate enough to have some key members of 100BG BIM team in the audience. I received very positive feedback at the end of the class. Thanks everyone for their time and positive feedback.

For my blog readers and those who couldn't attend the event, here is the presentation I delivered at the event.



After my class I attended a class delivered by David Light and Cara of HOK on one of the HOK BIM Case studies. I found the class very informative and useful from BIM Project Management point of view. If you are one of those who manages BIM projects then you can  understand the challenge Cara (and of course David) is going through managing this particularly complex project. Well done Cara!



Next for me was a class by Shaun Farrell and Christiano of Zaha Hadid on one of the BIM projects they are working in China. As usual, amazing project and fantastic use of technology in delivering such a complex project. They showcased how they used Digital Project to generate complex facade models and construction documentation. Christiano was brilliant as a speaker.



That was end of DAY-1 at the event venue but, as usual the show went on, this time at the VIP dinner hosted by Autodesk. Most of the speakers and some VIP guests attended the dinner.

DAY-2

I started day 2 with a class by David Hines of Populous on the Aviva stadium. This is the project that features on the latest BIM Handbook cover page. Great use of Rhino, Grasshopper, Excel, and Revit to generate full documentation and also brilliantly delivered by David Hines.


Next one I attended a class by Joyce Chan of HOK on Integrating Environmental Analysis into an Architect's Workflow. Some very interesting workflows were demonstrated on how they integrate environmental analysis into early stages.



After lunch, we had a technology forum where software vendors were given opportunity to showcase their latest BIM portfolios. ArchiCAD and Bentley showcased some amazing BIM technologies.

At the end we had a keynote speech by James Pallett of Great Portland Estate (GPE). It was very encouraging for the industry to see clients such as GPE coming forward and sharing their knowledge and expectations about BIM. BIM is clearly one of the core strategies of their business now. Again, 100 Bishopsgate featured in GPE presentation as well, as GPE+Brookfield are the client for 100BG.



Conclusion: The message was clear. The BIM adoption in the UK is increasing exponentially and the UK government and private clients are actively engaging with their supply chain to help them get BIM ready. Come 2015 and I wouldn't be surprised if the UK emerges as a BIM leader in the world. Only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. great post Rahul! I hope France will follow UK in BIM adoption....fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julien. I am sure the BIM storm is equal in most of the countries and France is no exception. It's just a matter of time. You guys are in pole position to drive this in France and don't forget your friends in the UK could help you too!!

    ReplyDelete